Saturday, 25 November 2017

Autumnal Stew with Mangetout

This Autumnal Stew with Mangetout  was made a few months ago on a bleak day and mangetout was in season, but I think it is okay to share today as the weather outside had turned proper cold. The raindrops have been icy and all week in the morning, D had been scraping ice off the car, but still no snow in this part of Wales.  I am pleased for now, but I have a feeling that we will see it this year.
You will not normally find mangetout in stews, but this one has some as at the time I had some in the fridge crying to be used, otherwise it would have got overlooked and gone into the compost bin in the garden.  I added the mangetout towards the end of the dish as I wanted it to retain its crunch. I do also love the autumnal colours in this stew and the belly warming flavours that include cumin, coriander and chilli. 


By the way this Autumnal come Wintry Stew with Mangetout is a one pot dish and bowl food, you don't need anything else with it, as it has bulgar wheat and chickpeas in it for substance.  However if you like my husband are the greedy type, feel free to serve it with some chunky crusty buttered bread to dunk ink and mop up the deep flavourful juices.
If you want to make this Autumnal come Wintry Stew with Mangetout follow the link for the Clay Pot Stew. Its all the same except for the addition of mangetout; and you don't need a clay pot, if you have an ovenproof casserole dish, you can still make. 
I am sharing this Autumnal Stew that also contains a whole tin of cooked chickpeas with My Legume Love Affair #113 hosted by The Mad Scientists Kitchen.  The challenge was initiated by  Susan and hosted by Lisa's Kitchen

14 comments:

  1. Things have definitely taken a turn for the cold over here too, and a good warming stew is just what we need to cheer things up. Such a pretty dish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the mangetout presentation make it pretty for sure.

      Delete
  2. That looks so warming and wholesome! Yes, the weather is set to turn distinctly chilly this coming week... hot mugs of cocoa all round! X





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mugs of hot cocoa indeed. Thanks Sarojini

      Delete
  3. Looks nice and comforting! It's getting chillier here as well, so stews are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soups and stews def. very welcome this time of year

      Delete
  4. I love mangetout but have never added it to stew. It is certainly appropriate for this time of year though and this looks like a warming and delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the mangetout does make the stew more appealing than it probably is :)

      Delete
  5. As the weather gets colder, stews are more and more appealing! Yours looks so inviting and warming xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, yes def. getting colder so I guess more stew like meals on the menu

      Delete
  6. Am in a spell of fridge soups and roast veg bakes at the moment. Nothing highly original and not been captured for posterity but good food none the less on cold evenings like these. Miso and seaweed have added a twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, blogging does not have to be about original food it should be about food that makes you happy and food you want to share, i blog for pleasure - honestly, hence the reason i am not a PR blogger. And you comment is another reason I find joy in conversing with other bloggers as I find inspiration there, you see now you mentioning miso and seaweed has me thinking and is inspiring me - you will soon see a miso and seaweed stew on my blog!

      Delete
  7. Delicious bowl of stew. Thanks for adding it to MLLA #113.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You